Bed bugs are small, brownish insects that infest homes and are a major nuisance for homeowners. They feed on the blood of humans and animals and can survive for a long time without a host. In this article, we will explore how long bed bugs can live without a host and what you can do to get rid of them.
How Long Can Bed Bugs Live Without Feeding?
Bed bugs can survive for several months without feeding. They can survive for up to six months without a blood meal, but they will eventually die if they do not have access to a host. Adult bed bugs can live for up to a year without feeding if they are in a cool room and have access to water.
How Do Bed Bugs Survive Without a Host?
Bed bugs are able to survive without a host by entering a state of hibernation known as diapause. During diapause, the bed bugs slow down their metabolism and become less active, allowing them to conserve energy and survive for extended periods of time without a blood meal.
Bed bugs are also able to survive by feeding on other animals. If there are pets in the house, bed bugs will feed on them if they cannot access their preferred hosts. Bed bugs have been known to feed on cats, dogs, and even birds.
How Can You Get Rid of Bed Bugs?
Getting rid of bed bugs can be a difficult and time-consuming process. Here are some tips on how to get rid of bed bugs:
- Identify the infested areas: The first step in getting rid of bed bugs is to identify the areas where they are present. Look for tiny black spots on your bed sheets, mattress, and furniture. These spots are bed bug feces and are a telltale sign of an infestation.
- Wash all bedding and clothing: Once you have identified the infested areas, wash all bedding and clothing in hot water. This will kill any bed bugs and their eggs that may be present.
- Vacuum your home: Use a vacuum cleaner to clean your home thoroughly, paying special attention to cracks and crevices where bed bugs may be hiding.
- Use pesticides: Pesticides are an effective way to kill bed bugs. However, they should be used with caution as they can be harmful to humans and pets. Only use pesticides that are specifically designed for bed bugs and follow the instructions carefully.
- Call a professional: If you are unable to get rid of bed bugs on your own, it may be necessary to call a professional pest control company. They will be able to assess the extent of the infestation and recommend the best course of action.
In conclusion, bed bugs can survive for several months without feeding, but they will eventually die if they do not have access to a host. They are able to survive by entering a state of hibernation known as diapause and by feeding on other animals. Getting rid of bed bugs can be a difficult process, but it is possible with the right tools and techniques. If you are unable to get rid of bed bugs on your own, it is recommended to call a professional pest control company for assistance.